When The Lights Go Out

 As a kid, I hated it when the electricity went out at night, whether it was from a storm or something else.

The darkness seemed overwhelming. It was like looking into a deep, black, endless void. I felt the lack of light and sudden quiet would slowly consume me. 

Electricity - that behemoth of an invention. It provides a world of artificial light and devices that have added convenience. 

But at what price?

Even though I was raised with the convenience that electronic lights and gadgets give us, I now relish the nights when the lights go out.

I look forward to times when the great electronic beast is quieted.

Electricity is loud.

There is always a constant…

Buzzing

Whirring

Ticking

Clicking

Chirping

Beeping

In fact, it is so constant that you don’t even notice it after being bombarded with it for so long. 

Until the lights go out. 

The darkness that was once so frightening is now a welcome presence. 

I finally feel like I can breathe… and hear.

The constant electronic buzz is replaced with the pitter-patter of rain against the windowpanes.

Loud cracks of thunder and flashes of lightning transition into the whisper of a gentle breeze as the storm passes. The soothing sounds of crickets and frogs singing, or Cicadas buzzing in the summer night. 

Real-life… That is what I am hearing and feeling for the first time in a long time.

I used to dread the lights going out, but now I look forward to it.